Our application process is designed to learn as much as possible about your child’s academic potential, as well as their strengths and weaknesses.
In order to understand your child’s unique learning needs, we seek information from many sources, including parents, current teachers, tutors, therapists, and a licensed psychologist. Admission to The Schenck School is determined by a number of factors, the most important being the degree to which your child’s academic success is affected by a difficulty with written language.
The Admission Process
- Parent submits a completed online application, required documents, a current psycheducational evaluation (completed no more than two years prior to the date of application), an unassisted writing sample, and $85 application fee (payable by electronic check or credit card).
- Parent authorizes the student’s current school to complete and submit teacher/administrator evaluations and transcripts.
- The Admissions Committee reviews the completed application. Only appropriate candidates in enrollment for The Schenck School are screened. Screening includes standarized diagnostic testing and age-appropriate assessments of reading, spelling, and writing skills. This evaluation will take approximately one and a half hours and will include a parent interview. Both parents are encouraged to attend. A fee of $150 will be charged for this screening.
- A letter indicating results of the screening will be sent to parents within one month of the evaluation.
- Notification of the Admissions Committee’s decision is made on an individual basis and includes consideration of space availability for the following school year. Decisions are made through the year, with final decisions made by mid-April.
The Schenck School does not discriminate on the basis of race, sexual orientation, color, nationality, religion, or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, tuition assistance programs, or other administered programs.
The Schenck School respects your privacy and will never release your contact, check, or credit card information.